SERVES 12 -16 , 2 loaves
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Mash bananas in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans (or you can pour it all into one, but it rises enough that you can split it in half). Sprinkle chocolate chips across the top, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
No joke, this is some of the best banana bread I’ve EVER made. And I make a lot of banana bread. We would otherwise waste a lot of bananas!
But, it’s a lower fat recipe, so when you add the chocolate chips, you’re not really doing too much damage. It’s always a balancing act.